Edition 11: August 9, 2001
In the eleventh issue of the Bed and Breakfast Traveller, we visit Oxford County. Located in the hub of Southwestern Ontario, the region boasts fertile farmland as well as interesting architecture in the city of Woodstock and towns of Ingersoll, Tillsonburg, and numerous villages.
Each centre has quaint shops, a number of eateries offering a good variety of menus, and supply shops for visitors' special interests.
Interesting tales are told at the local museums and should golf be your passion: there are excellent nine and eighteen hole courses awaiting your arrival.
Trout Lake, located on the edge of the village of Innerkip, was a quarry turned into a scuba diver's paradise.
The distinguished sculptor and artist, Ross Butler, was born and raised in Oxford County. His son, David, administrates the Ross Butler Studio located on 59 Highway south of Woodstock. The Woodstock Art Gallery, 447 Hunter Street, presents "Home Grown- The Agriculture Art of Ross Butler" August 4 through September 1, 2001.
Visit a maple syrup operation which has been in operation for generations. Their gift shop is open year round and a video can be viewed, showing how syrup is made from the maples' sap.
Book into an Oxford County Bed and Breakfast, making it your homebase and investigate the many attractions and sites for your enjoyment!
Things to see and do in Oxford County
- Woodstock is celebrating its 100th birthday. Every Saturday and Sunday until September 2, musical performances are taking place in Museum Square (1:00-1:45 pm and 2:15-3:00 pm).
-Sidewalk sales August 9, 10, and 11th.
- Woodstock Fair, August 22-25. Children have free admission every day. Live entertainment Friday and Saturday evenings.
- Woodstock is taking part in the Canada Summer Games 2001. The recently built District Community Centre Complex will host wrestling Aug 14-16 and volleyball events, Aug 20-24.
- Dragon Boats Races take place on Pittock Lake August 11, beginning at 9:00 am. (Hiking and biking trails follow Pittock Lake also).
-Oxford Drive-In Theatre is one of the few still operating. It is located just seconds west of Woodstock on Highway #2.
- Minor Ball House League Tournament, Tillsonburg Community Centre, August 11.
- Aug 15-18: B/A Sidewalk Sale Days throughout the town.
- Aug 17-19: Tillsonburg 22nd Golden Leaf Sectional Bridge Tournament at Community Centre.
- Aug 18: Townwide lawn sale.
- Aug 16-19: Tri-County Agricultural Annual Fair.
- Aug 24-26: Teen Theatre- "The Secret Garden". Otter Valley Playhouse.
- Art exhibits at Station Arts Centre.
- An exhibition of the New Clay Work is being held at the Ingersoll Creative Arts Centre Aug 5-26th.
-A s part of the town of Ingersoll's Harvest Festival celebration (Aug 22-26), the Creative Arts Centre will present Art at Hall's Creek, Aug 25 and 26. Admission is free. Festival celebrations include a Sidewalk Fair, Community Barbecue, Silent Auction, live entertainment, Ontario Town Crier Provincial Competition, and Street Dance on Saturday evening. Other activities will be going on all day at Centennial Park.
Oxford County Bed and Breakfast Association