Preparation 15 minutes, Cook 10 minutes, Difficulty Easy, Serves 4
5 eggs separated
2 whole eggs
1/2 can artichoke hearts, drained, quartered if whole 1 whole roasted pepper from a jar or can drained patted dry and roughly chopped *
50g Parmesan cheese (grated)
10 large basil leaves, shredded
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp extra virgin rapeseed or olive oil
*My preference is a fresh red pepper rubbed with olive oil and roasted until blistering, then wrapped in foil to cool slightly then peel off the skin and roughly chopped
1. In a large bowl, lightly beat together the 5 egg yolks and w whole eggs.
2. In another bowl use an electric whisk to beat the egg whites until stiff.
3. Add whites to the yolks and fold together carefully, keeping it light and fluffy.
4. Fold in the artichokes, red pepper, half the cheese, the basil and salt and pepper.
5. Heat grill to high
6. Heat a medium non-stick frying pan over medium heat**
7. Add the butter and oil
8. When butter is melted, add the omelette mixture and spread evenly.
9. Cook until golden underneath about 5 minutes
10. Scatter remaining cheese on top , then place pan under the grill and cook for a further 2 minutes.
11. Slide omelette onto a board or serving plates.
12. Cut into wedges and serve.
** My preference is my seasoned cast iron frying pan